6 Signs You’re Dating a Narcissist – Narcissistic Traits
Are you worried that the person you are dating might be a narcissist?
Why is this harmful to you?
In this article we will give an answer to these questions, why is dating a narcissist dangerous to your emotional wellbeing? how you can spot the signs that you are in a relationship with a narcissist?
If you are interested in making your love life the best, please sign up here!!!
What are the signs you are dating a narcissist?
A narcissist is one who has an inflated idea of his importance. A narcissist personality disorder is characterized largely by an overinflated sense of self-importance typically caused by unbalanced parental valuation during childhood.
Narcissist personality disorder is a collection of behaviors that are not accepted socially.
This disorder causes serious social problems for a narcissist and anyone around them, in most cases, they always want to be in control, with an attempt to manipulate others. A person who suffers from Narcissist personality disorder is sometimes unaware of the negative effect it is having on others.
What are the problems of being in a relationship with a narcissist? – Narcissistic Traits
- Narcissists put themselves first: This implies that they will do whatever it takes to feel important even if it will negatively affect the people around them. They are capable of hurting others purposely to stay ahead or stand out. Someone who suffers from Narcissist personality disorder will experience withdrawal symptoms and sometimes moments of sadness, shame, and anger until they get the attention they want. Being in a relationship with a narcissist can be very difficult because they will do whatever they can to make sure they stay ahead of you, even if it means taking credit that rightly belongs to you or criticizing you in other to feel superior, they will do it. Their self-esteem and importance are more important to them than the feelings of others. When attention isn’t given to them they become angry, violent, and loud until the feel that the spotlight is on them again. If you are in a relationship with a narcissist there is no surprise that you will be devalued so that they can feel important.
- Narcissists exhibit an exaggerated feeling of superiority: Narcissists do not take “NO” as an answer, they feel like everything should be done for them when they want it, and how they want it. If you are in a relationship with a narcissist you will notice that he can disrupt the life and needs of others so that his needs are met. And along with exhibiting a feeling of superiority is unrelenting ruthlessness, anyone who stands in the way of a narcissist stands a chance of being oppressed.
- Narcissists show no Empathy: Narcissists do not feel bad when they hurt you because they lack emotional sympathy, they might even act like they don’t notice you are being hurt by their actions. And if you try to explain how they hurt you, they will deny they are responsible for hurting you. They may say something like, you are too sensitive, you are soft and they might even blame you for what you didn’t do.
Someone who is a narcissist will always find it hard to apologize because they feel it will lower their self-esteem, even when they clearly know they were wrong.
Now that you know the problems that are involved if you are in a relationship with a narcissist, what actions should you take?
Some may feel too confident that they will never let anyone control them, but the truth is a narcissist doesn’t start as abusive, at the beginning of a relationship a narcissist can be charismatic, attentive, and committed. A narcissist will do all he can to make you feel appreciated and loved until it’s too late for you to know he is controlling you. A narcissist will hold back his bad traits till they gain their partner’s trust and love, and because of the intense intimacy and passion at the beginning of the relationship, it may be difficult to recognize the signs You’re Dating a Narcissist.
What are the red flag that can warn you before you are too emotionally involved?
6 Signs You’re Dating a Narcissist – Narcissistic Traits
Consider this signs you are dating a narcissist.
- Narcissists make you think more of yourself than you should: it can be very difficult to pick up on this sign because we all want to be praised and feel good about ourselves. A narcissist often elevates their new partner to an unrealistic position, and this allows them to feel special by associating with you. This idealization can be a difficult one to accept because he may claim you are perfect for each other, soul mate or that you were his love at first sight, but all these words he says is just to get control of your mind and thought so that he can manipulate you as he wishes.
- Narcissist smear their part lovers: In an abusive relationship the best periods are always the earliest stages, a narcissist will hold himself back so that you don’t get to see his true intention, and because they hold this behavior back it can become even more difficult to see their true colors. When talking about their past relationship narcissist often describes their lovers as abusive, unstable, and crazy. A narcissist will tell you about how disastrous the end of their past relationship was. Pay close attention to how he talks about his past relationship, you’ll be surprised about what you will come to find out.
- Narcissists will impose control over you: Narcissist depends on controlling others to get what they want, and if they can’t control you, they can easily move on to another person who they will be able to control. Narcissists hate to ask for what they want because they feel their needs may be rejected by others, so instead of asking the often arrange events and manipulate people to orchestrate the outcome of their desire. And because they are masters of this technique it can be difficult to know what they are doing. Most narcissists may even make it difficult for you to talk about an important topic, they make choices feel off-limits without expressing any anger at all. Sometimes they give you a disappointing answer to make you feel uncomfortable asking them such a question again. A narcissist will always want to isolate you so that they can have control over you. A narcissist will even make you feel guilty for hanging out with family or friends. For example, a lady might choose to stay at home because her partner is jealous of who she is hanging out with or she is afraid of how he will react later when she gets home.
- Narcissists do not get emotionally attached to you: As your relationship with a narcissist continues you will begin to notice more changes. You will realize that this person, avoids getting emotionally attached to you, Narcissists are very insecure, they know that they can be emotionally vulnerable since this emotions will make them feel low self-esteem, they will choose to hide the emotions, the try as much as they can to hide their emotions and in most cases will change topics as quickly as they can so that their emotions and feelings won’t be known to their partners. So instead of telling you how they feel they become violent or sometimes lash out anger to show their superiority, they might blame you for everything that has been going on, their main goal is for you not to know how they feel. Some narcissists won’t even admit to their anger even when you tell them about it. When they are shouting at you and you tell them that their voice is loud, they still won’t admit it, they will instead blame you for accusing them. That how far they will go to hide their feeling.
- Narcissists will make you mirror their emotions: narcissist will project their emotions onto you, for example, if you tell them they are angry they will continue in that angry state for a long time with you until you get angry, then they will blame you for being angry. Narcissists also say and do things that will make you have less confidence in yourself, and whenever you feel bad a narcissist feels that they shine in comparison.
- Narcissists will cause you mental stress: a narcissist will deliberately lie to you to confuse you and make you doubt your perception, they will cause you so much stress that you no longer trust yourself anymore, they will deliberately attack your clarity, they will also make it difficult for you to tell right from wrong, this emotional abuse will at times make you feel confused about what is going on. They will remind you of your past flaws to make you feel bad about yourself. Their goal is always to make you have less worthy.
All of these signs don’t mean you are dating or in a relationship with a narcissist, but if you are seeing these signs often you need to be concerned. There are different ways a narcissist will hide their vulnerability, that’s their favorite tactic, regardless of what sign you see, do not ignore them. People who ignore these signs are incapable of love and intimacy.
Do not be too preoccupied with your fears and judgment that you are unable to share in your relationship. Be wise, watch for signs, and protect yourself emotionally and physically.
Can a narcissist change?
The answer is maybe. People change when they acknowledge their problems, and this is something that can be difficult for a narcissist to do. If they can’t get past their denial and begin to recognize their unhealthy patterns, then you can choose to move on.
Like us on facebook: Facebook
Follow us on twitter: Twitter
Join us on pinterest: Pinterest
This article was authored by Norman Joshua.
Was this helpful? Learn more here
Norman Joshua is a Licensed Professional Counselor. Specialized in Communication and Counseling. Norman Joshua provides therapy to people who struggle with family-related problems, cheating partners, and Children.
Write to us here